Fireworks Seizure Procedure
If consumer fireworks are received, whether by seizure or if surrendered to us, follow this guideline for temporary storage of the material. We will only accept intact consumer fireworks, whether legal or illegal as defined by Oregon law. We will not accept altered or homemade devices (as their stability is unknown), explosives or unknown devices. All situations involving potentially explosive devices other than intact consumer fireworks shall be within the scope of law enforcement to make the determination as to their disposition. The Oregon State Police Bomb Squad may be used as resource and can be contacted through Dispatch or at 1(800) 452-7888.
A bit of text before a...
- Receive consumer fireworks – may be left at station front door
- Take immediately to the training Center and place into the FIREWORKS box in Storage Unit #2 by the warehouse, key is in the warehouse
- If for any reason fireworks must be temporarily stored anywhere other than Storage Unit #2, do not store in an occupied building and immediately notify Fire Prevention Staff of its location
- Document the fireworks put in the box with the log sheet provided
- Secure the storage
- Email out to FirPreventionAll to alert fire prevention of the new evidence
If during normal fire prevention staff hours, notify a member and they can assist with the taking of the material.
On the box is a folder containing a log sheet. Fill out the pertinent information. Send an email to “FirPreventionAll” making notification that material has been placed in the fireworks box.
The Oregon State Police Bomb Squad makes periodic trips through Central Oregon from their base in Salem to collect seized fireworks for disposal. They need to know if we have any material and, if so, an approximate amount. It is important that we accurately track this material and make the appropriate notifications. A fire prevention staff designee shall be responsible for coordinating the retrieval by the bomb squad.
If for any reason fireworks must be temporarily stored anywhere other than Storage Unit #2, do not store in an occupied building and immediately notify Fire Prevention Staff of its location.